Describe the differences in growth strategies based on concentration, related diversification, and unrelated diversification.
1. What is the “business portfolio” of a corporation? Distinguish the terms “corporation” and “strategic business unit”.
2. Explain the three generic strategic directions that the corporate center can follow in managing its business portfolio.
3. Under what circumstances is corporate management likely to employ a stabilization or a retrenchment portfolio strategy?
4. Describe the differences in growth strategies based on concentration, related diversification, and unrelated diversification.
5. How might a corporation assess the degree of relatedness of a proposed diversification move in its business portfolio? Why does related diversification often work
better than unrelated diversification?
6. Describe several examples of synergy that may be possible among the SBU’s in a related diversified business portfolio.
7. Compare vertical integration and horizontal expansion within an industry value chain.
8. Describe the components in a vertically integrated healthcare delivery system and how they interact with each other.
9. Explain the different forms that a retrenchment can take – ranging from the most modest to the most severe.
10. Explain how portfolio analysis matrices work and their function in making portfolio management decisions. Use either the BCG Growth-Share matrix or the GE
Business Screen as examples.
11. What is meant by the “parenting style” of the managers of a multi-SBU corporation?